A view of the Oratory from within the ‘preserving structure’ showing the altar as rebuilt in 1910, with fresh flowers left by local people.
North elevation of St Piran’s Oratory, generated from the 3D survey, by Tom Goskar.
South elevation of the Oratory, by Tom Goskar.
A watercolour of St Piran’s Church before its dismantlement in the 19th century. St Piran’s Cross and a dwelling are shown on the right of the painting.
St Piran’s Church today, showing the chancel and the north east walls – the earliest part of the structure.
Skeletons uncovered during works to build the ‘preserving structure’ in 1910.
The west gable wall of the Oratory c. 1900.
The ‘preserving structure’ and Oratory fully excavated in November 2014.
The Oratory at the end of the 19th century. Much of the original structure had collapsed at this point.
The building of the ‘preserving structure’ 1910. Laying the foundations of the structure disturbed much of the archaeological record closest to the Oratory.
St Piran’s Cross – possibly the ‘Christel Mael’ recorded in a charter dated 960AD.
The ‘preserving structure’ c. 1965.
Oratory site 10.1.2014 prior to the excavation.
Eileen at the oratory site 10.1.2014
Eileen at the oratory site 10.1.2014 following news that the dig is about to go ahead.