The column base at the entrance to the tower at the old church is decorated with a quantity of animal hair.  Dog, badger, somebody’s pillow?

This columb base was left behind when most of the best stonework was transported to Lambourne in 1804 to build the present church.  Take a look in the ‘new church’ to see identical pieces of stonework at the pillar bases, all of which came from the ‘old church’ at Penhale Sands.